I love a good picture book, the stories are fun, simple, and usually have a great message. Picture books are also filled with beautiful illustrations that help tell the story. Here are some new picture books, some are already out and some will be released in the next 6 months.
- Sharon, Lois, and Bram’s Skinnamarink – As a fan of the Elephant Show from the 1980s I loved this book. This book is the lyrics of the famous skinnamarink song from The Elephant Show, while the illustrations include characters doing the dance. This is a must for any fan of the show, and can be purchased in stores or online on September 3, 2019.
- Rabbit and Bear the Pest in the Nest by Ulian Gough – This book has a great message, Rabbit wakes up from hibernation and everything seems to be going wrong. Rabbit blames everyone and everything else, but learns an important lesson about how to look at the world and our problems. It is a well illustrated story. This book was released May 21, 2019
- The Piano Recital by Akiko Miyakoshi – Now this book was originally published in 1982 in Tokyo, Japan but was just recently translated into English. I am so glad that this treasure is being rereleased! The illustrations are absolutely gorgeous and the story is sweet, this is the perfect gift for a child who is having a recital. Momo in the story is having a piano recital, but this would be a great gift for any type of performance. This translation was released September 3, 2019.
- The Perfect Birthday Recipe by Katy Hudson – This book is colorful and fun, and it shows how lonely being a perfectionist and control freak can be. Beaver’s birthday was much more fun when his friends were there to share it! This book releases March 2, 2020.
- Help Wanted, Must Love Books by Janet Sumner Johnson – By Janet Sumner Johnson I have to be honest this book may be my favorite in this list. Probably because it has a lot storybook characters that we all know and love who make cameo appearances. The illustrations are beautiful and it is the perfect bedtime story. This book releases March 2, 2020.
- If the Shoe Fits by Deborah Guarino – This is a great Cinderella story, except from the town shoemaker’s perspective. The illustrations are great and this is a must for any fan of fairy tale retellings. One of my favorite things in a story time book is if it rhythms, making this a perfect story time book. This book releases November 28, 2019.
- Don’t Drink the Pink by B. C. R. Fegan – This is a fun and beautiful story of a girl from 1-15 where her Grandfather gives her a special gift on her birthday. This would be a great birthday gift for any age, it rhythms for a fun read and has a great sentiment. This book released August 2019