On the fourth day of Christmas I watched a Classic not so Christmas Movie.
Watching Christmas movies is a tradition in our house that grows every year. Of course we watch the popular made for TV Christmas movies, I have even written a blog post about those movies. But some of my favorite Christmas movies are unknown by most and not always considered Christmas Movies.
- Lady on A Train- Deanna Durbin is one of my favorite actresses, and in this movie she is on the case. As her train is pulling into the station in New York City she looks out her window and sees a murder. Instead of spending Christmas with her Aunt she enlists the help of her favorite Mystery Novelist to solve the case.
- The Thin Man- This is an extremely popular film series, but most people forget the first movie is set at Christmas. If you have never watched the series it starts in the 1930s with Myrna Loy and William Powell as a married couple. He is a former detective and she is a wealthy socialite, and together they make the perfect crime fighting duo.
- It Happened on Fifth Avenue- A house full of misfits, some who belong in the house and some who don’t celebrate Christmas together. This is a great film set after WWII.
- Shop Around the Corner- This movie is set in Budapest with Jimmy Stewart and Margaret Sullivan leading the cast. The story is of a shop manager and sales lady who do not get along during the busy Christmas season. This of course is the movie You’ve Got Mail is inspired by.
- Desk Set- Katherine Hepburn manages the research department that Spencer Tracy has been hired to modernize. This is a smart and funny film that I love to watch all year round, but the Office Christmas party scene makes it a must at Christmas.
- On Moonlight Bay- Is a family film staring Doris Day and Gordon MacRae, this movie is a sequel to By the Light of the Silvery Moon, however it stands on its own. For fans of Meet Me in St. Louis or Life with Father.
- Christmas Holiday- Even though the title screams Christmas the movie doesn’t. Gene Kelly plays a murderer who has escaped prison on Christmas Eve, to find his wife. His wife played by Deanna Durbin has left his family home, changed her name, and is working in a night club in New Orleans.
Two of these movies feature the lead actress singing Cole Porter’s Night and Day.