‘Mamma Mia 2: Here We Go Again’ was released July 20, 2018 and since then I have seen it in theaters 3 times. Now for people who frequent movie theaters that might not seem like a big deal, but for me it is. I tend to see around 3 movies a year in theaters, and I never see the same movie more then once. The fact that I have seen this movie 3 times in theaters in less then a month inspired me to do a 7seven things list, so here goes.
- Now this may be a little early to be getting into this, but let’s talk about young Bill. Josh Dylan and Lilly James have a great chemistry, and his charismatic ladies man charm wins me over every time. Hugh Skinner played young Harry and Jeremy Irvine played young Sam, these young men were both great, but of the three Josh Dylan stole the show.
- Lilly James was and is the right choice for young Donna, I cannot imagine anyone else in that role.
- Let’s talk about Tanya and Rosie (young and contemporary) the casting is spot on. First of all I love seeing new generations of acting families, young Tanya is played by Jessica Keenan Wynn she is the Granddaughter of Keenan Wynn and Great Granddaughter of Ed Wynn. Both young and contemporary these characters add humor and wit making this movie great.
- Colin Firth, Pierce Brosnan, and Stellan Skarsgard are as charming in this movie as in the first. One of my favorite scenes in the movie is when current day Harry and Bill sail to Sophie to the song Dancing Queen.
- Cher and Andy Garcia; there are no words. I don’t believe I need any, their names say it all, and frankly THEY ARE the cherry on top.
- For anyone that hasn’t seen this movie because they are afraid it will be to sad, let me just say there isn’t time to be sad. This movie is packed with joy and entertainment, and yes it honors characters and family beautifully, but it is a celebration.
- The Abba songbook that was used in such a creative way, is amazing!
Let me finish this by saying I loved the first Mamma Mia film, but I loved this one more. The first time I went to see Mamma Mia 2 I sat in the theater with a knot in my stomach. I just knew I wasn’t going to like it as much as the first, then it started and I DID. The second time I went to see it I thought, it won’t be as good as the first time, IT WAS. Today when I saw it again I loved it just as much. This movie is an ensemble cast that feels like family, it is a gift.
*IF YOU WENT TO SEE IT BUT DIDN’T STAY UNTIL THE END OF THE CREDITS YOU MISSED SOMETHING!