As I was reading this book I was mentally listing people I thought would get a lot out of it, until I hit a page about a third of the way in that knocked me down. In the first chapter Erica talks about Normal-rational realists and Supers- the super spiritual, Erica identified as a “Normal”, while I identified as a “Super” having grown up in a Pentecostal church.
Here are 7seven thoughts, quotes, scriptures that Erica used in “Believe Boldly” that I needed right now, and confirmation in what God has been revealing to me…
- Page 27-“…God is responsible and even predictable at times, but what if He wants to express His untamable wildness through His faithful followers-including you?”
- Page 51-“The Holy Spirit is calling you out still deeper. As the water swirls around your legs, you are gaining more insight into God’s will for your life, and you are receiving more freedom from your past heart hurts. It feels exciting. You are braver, more empowered, less insecure about your place in the world.”
- Page 58- Erica talks about how God speaks to her about writing a book, she feels unqualified, and reluctant. God then sends a woman to confirm this, a woman who didn’t know Erica, this woman said God wanted Erica to tell her story, CONFIRMATION.
- Page 82-“Satan sneaks into your glorious garden with this debilitating lie: You are not who God says you are. You are no good at being you. You should be someone else. Someone prettier, smarter, more successful. You are not as great as He claims you are.”
- Page 87-“Only after God renamed me could I defeat the lies…He has a better name for you, too. He calls you Chosen, Beautiful, Precious, Loved, Forgiven.”
- Page 95- Colossians 1:16 ESV- For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities-all things were created through him and for him.
- Page 165- James 3:2-4-For we all stumble in many ways. And if anyone does not stumble in what he says, he is a perfect man, able also to bridle his whole body. If we put bits into the mouths of horses so that they obey us, we guide their whole bodies as well. Look at the ships also; though they are so large and are driven by strong winds, they are guided by a very small rudder wherever the will of the pilot directs.
Item 4 is the statement that floored me, see this is a lie from Satan that I struggle with, I’m not pretty enough, smart enough, successful enough, I’m just not enough. In the same breath I hear the lie Tamii you are TOO MUCH, I laugh too loud, I talk too much, I’m too… whatever.
I struggle with this, my solution has always been to remain inside a sunroom, I can see everyone else’s light, I can shine God’s light, but I keep myself out of it. If people don’t see me or my personality then I don’t need to worry about being TOO MUCH or NOT ENOUGH.
Here’s the problem with that, God made me, he made my personality, it is connected to the gifts he has given me. This week God has been putting TV shows, movies, BOOKS, scriptures in my path that show me, that no matter what a person looks like (tall, fat, pretty, weird), how funny they are or aren’t, how likable, how (fill in the blank). That no matter what… His love, His plans, His Spirit, His Truth; they are the things to cling to. God made me to fit in perfectly where he wants me, whether others validate me or not, He made me.
Erica describes a part of herself she labeled Perfectica, who strived to be perfect. After God helped her work through it she said “No longer would Perfectica cripple me from being myself”
I always want MORE of God, I want my relationship with Him to grow, I am not perfect, I will never be enough for some, and I will always be too much for others. I want to Boldly live for God as myself.
This will not be easy, I like the sunroom, it’s safe in the sunroom, but God has called me to be who He made me.
I really enjoyed this book, Erica shares her story as God told her to, and I am so glad she did. Read this book, there is so much more then I have highlighted here.