This is probably the best young reader series I have read in a very long time, I absolutely LOVE this series. When I first wrote this blog post I had only read the first 2 books in the series, I have since read the third book. In two weeks on Tuesday September 11, 2018 the fourth and final book in this series will be released.
- Mo short for Moses was found as a baby floating downstream during a hurricane, she was named Moses for obvious reasons, however she goes by Mo. She is being raised by a found family still has hope of finding her upstream mother. She is absolutely positively in love with Lavender Johnson, Dales older brother who is a race car driver and much too old for Mo.
- Dale Earnhardt Johnson III Mo’s best friend. Dale is named after the race car driver Dale Earnhardt, who drove car 3. Dale is still mourning the famous Nascar driver by wearing only black. His father is the town drunk and his mother plays the piano in church.
- Tupelo Landing, North Carolina is a character within itself, it is a town with 2 streets. The townspeople are an amazing mosaic of whimsical characters, they add so much flavor to the stories
- When the series starts Mo and Dale are two almost 6th graders planning a normal summer. After a local murder they decide to open their own detective agency, especially when Dale ends up as the lead suspect. However they will take any case, from missing pets to murder.
- Miss Lana and the Colonel are Mo’s found family. The night of the hurricane the Colonel crashed his car, found baby Mo floating in the river, and suffered a head injury that caused amnesia. Miss Lana is a creative woman who loves old Hollywood and dressing up in costumes.
- I don’t want to give too much away about the series, but throughout the series there are new characters. Some of the new characters you love, some you hate, and some you change your mind about.
- These books and characters will pull at your heart strings, I laughed, cried, and immediately wanted to move to this amazing town.
Please check out this series by Sheila Turnage, it is completely worth it. The fourth and final book comes out September 11, 2018.
to preorder click here